In Louisiana, we’ve been under a shelter-in-place order for a little more than a month. If you’ve found yourself with some extra time on your hands, you may have started tackling that long to-do list or begun a new project.
Some people have used this time as a chance to clean out closets or organize junk drawers. But where can you take your donations when most businesses are closed? In Baton Rouge, there are three places you can drop-off your items. There are some mail-in options, too.
Physical Sites to Drop-off Donations
The Purple Cow
3651 Perkins Road
This location will be accepting donations Saturday, April 25 from 9am – 3pm
3121 College Drive, Suite B
This location is accepting donations daily, from 10am – 2pm
10778 Coursey Blvd
This location is accepting donations daily, from 10am – 1:30pm
Thred Up is the world’s largest online thrift store. Anyone can order one of their free “Clean Out Kits” and mail in used clothing and accessories. Items will either be sold online or used for other causes.
Currently, Thred Up is donating $15 to Feeding America for each Donation Kit they receive. Order your Clean Out Kit today.
Give Back Box
Print a shipping label online, pack your box(es) and your items will be sent to the nearest charity in need. This is a great way to use all of your spare cardboard boxes from online shopping, while also decluttering and giving back.
Visit the Give Back Box website for more information.
Zappos has partnered with Soles4Souls, which means you can print prepaid shipping labels and box and send your donations to specific charities. Some accept only shoes, while others are asking for clothing.
Get more details and print your labels here.
Ready to Gather Your Donations?
When you’re ready to declutter — whether it’s your entire house or a small corner of it — ask yourself these questions to make the process a bit easier:
- If you saw this item in the store right now, would you buy it?
- Are you holding on to this item for someone else? If so, get it to them.
- Is it easily replaceable? If so, let the store hold it for you and get it again IF you need it.
- Is it too big or too small? If yes, live in the now!
- Does this item add value to your life?
- When was the last time you realistically used it?
- What is it about your future self that is more likely to use this than your present self?
- How many of this item is it reasonable to have?
- Would you want to be wearing this if you run into your ex?
- If you keep it, will you remember you have it and where to find it?
- Are you keeping this because you love it or just because you have room for it?
Have you been using this time to declutter? If so, what has worked for you? Leave a comment below so we can share ideas.